Hawaii Biological Survey Staff
- Ph.D., Zoology, University of California, Davis.
- B.S., Zoology (high honors), University of California, Davis.
Field Work and Museum Studies
- Organized and led numerous research expeditions to remote regions
throughout New Guinea, including one with more than 100 personnel. Have
travelled widely and visited field sites and field stations throughout
Australia, Pacific Basin, SE Asia, Asia, including Japan and India,
Europe, and North and South America.
- Senior Zoologist, Bishop Museum (2012 - present)
- Vice President for Science, Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Assistant Director for Research, Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Chairman, Department of Zoology, Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawaii (1985-1993).
- Acting Chairman, Department of Entomology, Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawaii (1985-1986).
- Acting Chairman, Department of Zoology, Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawaii (1983-1985).
- Director, Wau Ecology Institute, Papua New Guinea (1982-1983).
- Assistant Director, Wau Ecology Institute, Papua New Guinea (1979-1982).
- Research Fellow/Acting Manager, Wau Ecology Institute, Papua New Guinea (1973-1975).
- Teaching Assistant/Teaching Fellow, University of California, Davis (1972-1973, 1976-1979).
Basset, Y., G. A. Samuelson, A. Allison, & S. E. Miller. 1996. How many species of host-specific insects on a species of tropical tree? Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 59: 201-216.
Allison, A. 1997. Zoogeography of amphibians and reptiles of New Guinea and the Pacific Region, pp. 407-436 in A. Keast and S. E. Miller (eds.), The origin and evolution of Pacific Island biotas, New Guinea to Eastern Polynesia: Patterns and processes. SPB Academic Publishing, Amsterdam.
Allison, A., G. A. Samuelson, & S. E. Miller. 1997. Patterns of beetle
species diversity in Castanopsis acuminatissima (Fagaceae) trees studied with
canopy fogging in mid-montane New Guinea rainforest, p. 224-236 in N. E. Stork,
J. Adis and R. K. Didham (eds.), Canopy arthropods. Chapman and Hall,
This page last revised 26 April 2012