- Ph. D., Zoology, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu.
- M. S., Zoology, University of Georgia, Athens.
- B. A., Biology, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH.
- Ecology of marine species invasions.
- Ecology and biogeography of reef corals and symbionts.
- Effects of natural and pollution stresses on corals and coral
- Environmental factors inducing coral bleaching.
- Marine communities in high latitude coral reef systems.
Field Work and Museum Studies
- Field and survey work in the mainland USA, Bahamas, Bermuda,
Hawaiian Islands and Johnston Atoll, Palau, Fiji, Marshall Islands,
American Samoa, the Arabian Gulf, and the Gulf of Oman.
- Marine Invertebrate Zoologist, Bishop Museum, Honolulu (1995-present).
- Affiliate Faculty, Hawai‘i Institute of Marine Biology, Unversity of Hawai‘i (1984-present).
- Associate Professor, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman
- Research Associate, AECOS Inc., Kailua, HI (1990-1992).
- Research Scientist, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals
Research Institute (1985-1990).
- Senior Marine Biologist, Environmental Department, Hawaiian
Electric Co., Honolulu (1973-1985).
Over 60 publications and reports including the following:
Coles, S.L., Eldredge, L.G, Kandel, F.L.M., Reath, P.R., & Longenecker K. 2004. Nonindigenous marine species on coral reefs in the main Hawaiian Islands, with emphasis on introduced invertebrates. Bishop Museum Technical Report No. 27, Honolulu.
Coles, S.L. 2003. Coral
species diversity in the Arabian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman: a
comparison to the Indo-Pacific region. Atoll Res. Bull. No. 507.
Coles, S.L & Brown, B.E. 2003. Coral bleaching: capacity for acclimatization and adaptation. Adv. Mar. Biol. 46: 183-223.
Coles, S.L. & Eldredge, L.G. 2002. Nonindigenous species introductions on coral reefs: a need for information. Pac. Sci. 56: 191-209.
Coles, S.L. 2001. Coral bleaching. What do we know and what can we
do? p. 33-47. In: Salm, R.V and S.L. Coles (eds.) Coral Bleaching and Marine
Protected Areas. Mitigating Coral Bleaching Impact through MPA Design. Bishop
Museum, Honolulu, 29-31 May, 2001. Publ. By The Nature Conservancy, Honolulu.
Coles, S.L., DeFelice, R.C., Eldredge, L.G. & Carlton, J.T.
1999. Historical and recent introductions of nonindigenous marine species into
Pearl Harbor, Oahu, Hawaiian Islands. Marine Biology 135: 147-158.
Coles, S.L. 1996. Corals of Oman. R. Keech Publ., Thorns, Hawes, UK, 106 p.
Coles, S.L. & Ruddy, L. 1995. A comparison of water quality and reef coral mortality and growth in southeast Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Hawaii, 1990 to 1992 with pre-sewage diversion conditions. Pacific Science 49: 247-65.
Coles, S.L. & Y.H. Fadlallah. 1990. Cold induced reef coral mortality in the Arabian Gulf: New lower temperature limits to coral survival. Coral Reefs 9: 231-37.
Coles, S.L., P.L. Jokiel & C.R.
1976. Thermal tolerance in tropical versus subtropical Pacific
corals. Pac. Sci. 30: 159-166.
This page last revised 4 April 2005